The Patriots won an ugly 10-3 game against the Jets. A win is a win but it wasn’t pretty. Here are my seven points from today’s game.
1. Marcus Jones punt return: Marcus Jones 84 yard punt return touchdown to win the game was one of the craziest plays I have ever seen in all my years in football. Jones has proven to be as dynamic a punt returner as he was in college and he has become a weapon for the Patriots.
2. Offensive line struggles again: The offensive line struggles continued as Mac Jones was sacked four times in the loss. At this point, there is only so much you can do from a scheme standpoint. It is about the players and they are not playing well. The Patriots have to live with this group the rest of this season. They don’t have a choice.
3. Mac was efficient: Despite the lackluster offensive performance, Mac Jones was efficient. He completed 23 of 27 passes for 246 yards and had a passer rating of 104.1. More importantly, he did not turn the ball over which proves he is improving.
4. Defense dominates: The defense absolutely dominated the Jets putrid offense. They held Zach Wilson and company to 136 yards of total offense and they sacked Wilson four times. It was another great performance by a defense that has become of the elite units in the NFL.
5. Harris produces in return: Damien Harris returned and had a solid day rushing for 65 yards on eight carries. He also caught two passes for 28 yards. The Patriots are going to need Harris to be a factor in the offense down the stretch. Provided he’s healthy, he should be.
6. Block in the back? Many pundits after the game felt that Matthew Slater’s block that paved the way for Jones was a block in the back. It was close and it certainly could have gone either way. In the end, it wasn’t called and that’s fine by us.
7. Short turnaround: The Patriots barely finished their owwww yeah in the locker room after the game and they were back in the facility getting ready for the Vikings. The short turnaround means it’s all about body management and getting ready to play a game less than four days later. It’s a tough assignment.