Week two of the college football season is in the books. The week will be best remembered for Holy Cross’ Hail Mary win at Buffalo and the continued struggled of both Boston College and UMass who currently sit at 0-2. As always, there is once again major movement in our poll. The Ivy League teams dropped this week but that could change with them opening their seasons this week.
Here is our Top 16 poll at the end of two weeks.
1. Holy Cross (2-0): The Crusaders fanbase will remember Saturday’s miracle win at Buffalo for a long time. Now comes a tough challenge from a talented Yale team.
2. URI (2-0): The Rams struggled at times against Bryant but big plays and a relentless pass rush paved the way to victory. An early season showdown at Delaware is up next.
3. UNH (2-0): Dylan Laube is the best back in New England right now. The Wildcats found a way to get it done on the road which huge in college football.
4. Harvard: (0-0): Crimson open up Friday night at home against a talented Merrimack team.
5. Dartmouth (0-0): Big Green open defense of their Ivy League title at home against Valpo.
6. Yale (0-0): The Bulldogs have a tough road test at Holy Cross on Saturday. Yale’s talented offensive and defensive lines need to be the difference in this one.
7. Stonehill (2-0): The Skyhawks destroyed Post 76-0. They have two weeks off before entering NEC play.
8. Sacred Heart (1-1): The Pios gutted out a big win over Central Connecticut but the offense needs to be better. 14 points in two games won’t cut it for a conference favorite.
9. Merrimack (1-1): The Warriors handled Assumption and now set their sights on Harvard.
10. Bryant: (0-2): The Bulldogs could be 1-1 possibly 2-0 if some breaks went their way. This team is good and they will figure things out.
11. Brown: (0-0): The Bears are looking to take the next step this season. They open with Bryant on Saturday at home.
12. UConn: (1-2): The Huskies fell behind early and couldn’t get back into their game with Syracuse. A visit to the Big House looms this week. They play Michigan and N.C State the next two weeks.
13. Central Connecticut State (0-2): The Blue Devils have played hard in their first two games. This team will only get better as the season goes on.
14. Boston College: (0-2): The offense is struggling mightily right now. The Eagles cannot protect Phil Jurkovec and they cannot run the ball. A home game with Maine could help fix some of those problems but the Eagles need long term solutions if they want to get things turned around.
15. UMass: (0-2): A 55-10 loss to Toledo leaves a really bad last in your mouth. As does getting outscored 97-20 in your first two games. Luckily, the Minutemen are home this weekend and they host Stony Brook, a game they should win.
16. Maine: (0-2): The Black Bears played well enough to win defensively but the offense has struggled thus far. A visit to Boston College doesn’t make things any easier but this team will compete for four quarters no matter who the opponent is.