UMass hijacked the news cycle this weekend when Athletic Director Ryan Bamford announced that head coach Walt Bell and defensive coordinator Tommy Restivo were relieved of their duties.
Rumors began almost immediately as to some possible replacements. The Flagship Faithful are restless. They want to win. It is imperative that Bamford and the administration hire the right guy.
Boston College beat Virginia Tech 17-3 in the annual Red Bandanna game but the story of the night was the return of quarterback Phil Jurkovec. He gave the Eagles a huge boast, not just on offense but collectively.
No one has talked about Rhode Island’s win over UMass. Everyone is focused on the Bell firing but the 35-22 win was a big win for the Rams.
Here’s our Top 15 Poll for this week.
1. Holy Cross (7-2): The Crusaders cruise past Lafayette to set up a showdown with Fordham this week.
2. Dartmouth (7-1): The Big Green crush Princeton and are in the drivers seat for an outright Ivy League title.
3. Boston College (5-4): Eagles pick up big win over Virginia Tech and are set up to finish strong.
4. Harvard (6-2): Crimson crush up and coming Columbia in statement win.
5. Yale (5-3): Bulldogs offense was clicking on all cylinders in historic offensive performance against Brown.
6. Rhode Island (6-3): The Rams snap their three game losing streak with an impressive win over UMass.
7. Sacred Heart (6-3): Pioneers survive versus St. Francis and keep their NEC title hopes alive.
8. Bryant (5-4): NEC title hopes effectively end with surprising loss to Central Connecticut State.
9. Merrimack (5-4): Warriors get above .500 after beating Wagner 35-26.
10. Maine (4-5): Tough loss to Stony Brook ends three game winning streak. A date with UMass is on tap this week.
11. Central Connecticut State (3-6): Back to back wins over Merrimack and Bryant is a sure sign that this program is starting to make progress.
12. New Hampshire (3-6): Loss to winless Albany is the low point of the season thus far. A trip to URI is next on tap for the Wildcats.
13. Brown (2-6): Typical Brown game. Strong start, slow finish in 63-38 loss to Yale.
14. UConn (1-8): Another week, another bye. Huskies return to action this week with a trip to Clemson.
15. UMass (1-8): Walt Bell is gone. Now interim Alex Miller has to pick up the pieces and find a way to win a game this week.