It’s week seven of the college football season. There are several big games today in both the CAA and the Ivy League.
Here are some thoughts on today’s Division One college football games in New England.
1. Yale travels to Dartmouth today in a battle of two undefeated teams. Dartmouth has been impressive thus far averaging 33.7 points per game on offense and 8 points per game on defense.
Today they face their stiffest challenge yet in a Yale team that is explosive on offense and can make big plays. Running the football will be the key for both teams, especially with the weather being a factor. It is hard to pick against Dartmouth but if there is one team in the Ivy League that could play with them and beat them, it’s Yale.
2. Maine hosts Richmond today in a game that is a must win for both teams. At 2-3, neither team can really afford another loss if they have aspirations of making the FCS playoffs as at large seed. Maine needs to figure things out defensively. The defense continues to struggle this season.
3. UNH hits the road on a three game winning streak. They will have their hands full against a Stony Brook team that is physical and can run the football. UNH’s defense has played well the last three weeks. Their front seven is more than capable of slowing down the Seawolves running game. The question is, can the offense score enough points to win this game?
4. Holy Cross visits Brown today in what should be a tight game. The Crusaders are coming off of a 21-14 win over Bucknell. It wasn’t pretty but Holy Cross finally got the offense going.
Brown lost the Governor’s Cup game to URI last week 31-28. The offense has been good for the Bears but the defense continues to be an issue. I expect this to be a low scoring game. If Holy Cross can build off of last week’s performance offensively and move the ball consistently, they can win this game.
5. URI faces a tall task today as they travel to Blacksburg, Virginia to battle Va Tech. The Hokies are coming off of a big win over Miami last week. Their offense is starting to play better which could be an issue for the Rams. Facing a Bud Foster defense can also be challenging. The Rams could be in for a long afternoon if they don’t get off to a good start.
6. Bryant should make it two in a row as they host Long Island. The Bulldogs are coming off a big road win last week at Merrimack.