Miami has traditionally been a house of horrors for the Patriots through the years and many felt with Brian Flores leading the Dolphins, that would continue to be the case.
Instead, the Dolphins are rebuilding and tanking for all intents and purposes. They might just have the worst roster in the NFL. All of sudden what used to be tough game now appears to be a winnable game.
Here are five keys for the Patriots in this game.
1. Get Antonio Brown involved early: Brown made the trip to Miami and the expectation is he will play. Expect the Patriots to get Brown involved early as they try to get him comfortable in the offense.
2. Start fast: The Patriots need to get off to fast start and put this team away early. The Dolphins are bad. Don’t allow them to hang and make plays. We all know how last season’s game in Miami ended.
3. Mix things up: The Dolphins coaching staff is mostly compromised of former Patriots assistants. They know the inner workings of the Patriots offense and defense. The Patriots will have to change a lot of terminology, especially regarding protection calls and basic audibles.
4. Get the ground game going: The Patriots need to get the running game going. They did not run the ball well last week. This would be a good week to get Sony Michel, James White and Rex Burkhead going.
5. Pass protection is key: With David Andrews and Marcus Cannon out, the Patriots are vulnerable. Miami will exploit this by bringing additional pressure. Giving Tom Brady time and keeping him upright will be a key in this game.